• Home
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Community Calendar
  • Demographics

    Demographics of Albany

    According to the United States Census Bureau, there were 16,444 people, 7,011 households, and 4,269 families residing in the city of Albany in the year of 2000.

    The city’s population was 61.3 % White, 25.1 % Asian, 8.0 % of the population were Hispanic or Latino, 4.1 % African American, 3.17 % from other races, and 5.83 % from two or more races. The biggest ethnic group is Chinese, which accounts for 13.5% of the city’s total population.

    Nearly one third (28.9%) of the population were born in a foreign country. 15% of them entered the United States between 1990 and March 2000. 11.0% were naturalized citizen, while 17.9% were not a citizen.

    63.9% of the population spoke only English at home, while 36.% spoke a foreign language, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, etc. 14.2% of residents didn’t speak English very well.

    Average household size was 2.34, and average family size was 2.92. There were 7,011 households out of which 33.1 % have children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0 % were married couples living together, 12.6 % had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.1 % were non-families. 29.2 % of all households were made up of individuals and 8.7 % had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.

    In the city the population was spread out with 22.9 % under the age of 18, 7.1 % from 18 to 24, 34.9 % from 25 to 44, 24.1 % from 45 to 64, and 11.1 % who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 87.4 males.

    The population had relatively high education. 64.0% of the city’s residents has bachelor’s degree or higher, and 34% of them had graduate or professional degree. 93.8% were high school graduate or higher. In terms of employment,64.1% of the labor force had management, professional, and related occupations, 31.6% among them work in educational, health and social services industries; 21.2% had sales and office occupations, and 6.8% worked in service industries. The government was the biggest employer, and 25.3% of Albany’s labor force were government workers.

    The median income for a household in the city was $54,919, and the median income for a family was $64,269. The per capita income for the city was $28,494. 7.9 % of the population and 6.4 % of families were below the poverty line. 8.0 % of those under the age of 18 and 8.2 % of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.

    The city had 7,011 occupied houses, about half of the houses (50.6% ) were occupied by owners, and the rest (49.4%) were rented.

    The principal shopping street in Albany is Solano Avenue, which cuts across the city from west to east. Another important street is San Pablo Avenue, which travels from north to south. There is a newly-opened big Target store in Albany’s Eastshore Hwy. Pacific&East Shopping Mall and Ranch 99, which is at the foot of north Albany Hill, is the place where most of the city’s Chinese population go for groceries.

    The city has a total area of 5.5 mi². 1.7 mi² of it is land and 3.8 mi² of it is water. The Golden Gate Field near the Bay is said to be one of the largest thoroughbred racetracks in the United States. Albany Hill is another landmark of city, which is facing the waterfront of the Bay. There is also a University Village, a 58 acre complex with 760 apartments for UC-Berkeley’s graduate students with families.

    The most significant demographic change in Albany between the year 1990 and the year of 2000 is probably the increase of Asia population, whose percentage of the population grew to 25% in 2000 from 19% in 1990.


    Comments are closed.